Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

my sister who has been at war with my parents for years has

Customer Question

my sister who has been at war with my parents for years has now come back into thier lives.She has caused a big falling out with me and my mum and dad.I am an owner of thier home with them can she get them to sign it over to her.I have been on the deed for at least ten years and could they change thier will to have me taken off
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.

Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Could you explain your situation a little more please?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

no Ive told you all that there is already

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
I need more information please. Whose name is the house in?
Why was it transferred partly into your name?
Is it joint tenants or tenants in common?
I need the full background please
Thank you for your question I shall do my best to help you.
How much is the property worth and do you actually mean that you have been added to the Title Deeds - I ask because you also refer to their Will!
Claire
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am on the deeds of the house as an owner with my parents.So there are three owners. My Mum,Dad and me. On there deaths the house would pass to me as sole owner.Current worth approx five hundred thousand. I am sole benficary of thier will but my sister who has scammed them in the past may try something.I just want to know where I stand if she tries to get them to sign house over to her or they decide to make her an owner as well.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Your parents cannot transfer their share of the house to her either without your consent or a court order. So there can be no nasty surprises.
They can of course change their will as they think fit without telling you, but if they exclude you completely, you have a claim under the Inheritance Provision for Family and Dependents Act because they are under a duty to make provision for children and dependents.

they can of course leave their share to her in the will if the property is no longer joint tenants because they have seven the joint tenancy. You have no control over whether they do that or not.

Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any specific points or clarify anything?
If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.
The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Regards.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

Does that answer the question?
Regards.