vincent2013
vincent2013, JustAnswer Expert
Experience:  Qualified solicitor and barrister (non-practising) with 7+ years experience
74366787

We are a landlord and were late renewing our gas safety certificate,

Customer Question

We are a landlord and were late renewing our gas safety certificate, as soon as we realised the mistake we sorted it out. Is this a problem if the tenant complains?
Expert:  vincent2013 replied 3 years ago.

Hi, thanks for your question. My name's XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with it.

The tenant is not entitled to any remedy as the failure to obtain a gas safety certificate is a criminal matter and does not entitle the tenant to any cause of action.

The legislation relating to Gas Safety is enforced by the Health and Safety Executive and they have the power to procecute. However, despite the fact that the HSE can prosecute, my experience is that they are not interested in prior breaches (where there was no negative consequence). They are far more concerned with current infringements.

Please do take a moment to rate my answer (if it was helpful) and don't hesitate to let me know if you need anything else or need any clarification on the above.

Just a quick follow up to check that my answer was helpful.

If so, I would be grateful if you could take a moment to rate it and do let me know if you have any further questions.

All the best