Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

General Power of Attorney

How to end a general power of attorney for a commercial estate with an agent when the agent had been found unfaithful doing the work by stealing some of the rent? Can I end it at any time? What should I do to make this legally? Can the attorney sell the property for his benefit without noticing me or transfer the property to his name? Should I report the unfaithful issues to the police?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

A general power of attorney can be revoked by:
1. A deed of revocation;

2. Or by taking any action inconsistent with the power of attorney.

If the attorney still tries to exercise the power having been given notice of its termination then potentially that is fraud and could be reported to the police.

I suggest that you issue a deed of revocation and then send it to your banks and land registry. Firstly you must be careful to check that you have not given the attorney an indemnity for any lossless or expenses he may have incurred.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Sorry, I just got your answer. I am quite confused about what does the last sentence mean?

How to make a deed of revocation officially and legally? It is kind of you if you can have a look of the attorney contract that I have sighed before and the deed of revocation have drafted.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

No problem. Often a general power of attorney will contain a clause saying that you will hold the attorney harmless from any loss he may suffer from exercising the power.

Has the attorney actually done anything yet? Ie signed any documents or accessed any bank accounts?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

He sighed a new tenant agreement with the tenant without my agreement. Can I end the attorney immediately even on the attorney contract the expire day of the power of attorney is not now?

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

So to clarify the attorney has signed you up to a tenancy agreement but did so after the Power of Attorney Expired?

You can withdraw the power of attorney at any time.

Do you have a copy of the tenancy agreement that has been signed in your name?

AJ