Stuart J
Stuart J, Solicitor
Experience:  PGD Law. 20 years legal profession, 6 as partner in High Street Practice
11292137

I have moved into a new house and agreed to allow the developer/

Customer Question

I have moved into a new house and agreed to allow the developer/ builder to erect scaffolding on the property at the end of our garden. They advised this would be for 3 weeks. We are now 9 weeks later and they have advised me that the works will take a further 4 weeks. Can I now refuse them access on our property or request a fee for he inconvenience?

Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.
What loss has this caused you?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We have been unable to complete hard landscaping as the scaffolding is obstructing the area we wish to have a patio. This work may not be completed due to the scaffolding.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

I would tell the builders (do it
in writing) that you allowed this on the strict understanding that it would
take three weeks. It has now been nine weeks and the delay is unacceptable and
is causing you inconvenience and because the weather is now deteriorating, and
you wanted to get a patio laid during the good weather, you anticipate a
substantial loss. Tell them that they must remove the scaffolding within the
next 48 hours or you will arrange to have it removed yourself and bill them for
the costs of removing it and for storing it.

Tell them that as an alternative,
you are prepared to act the set the sum of (£500?) On the strict understanding
that the scaffolding is removed completely by X date, that any damage is made
good at their expense, and that if the scaffolding is in place for a longer
period than that, they will pay you compensation in the sum of (£25?) per day
thereafter.

Tell them that you require the
payment of £500 immediately.

Does that answer the question?
Can I answer any further points?

Please don't forget to
positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You
should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service
formally.

If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0
for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.

It doesn't give me, "a pat on the head", "good boy" (like ebay), it is my
livelihood!

If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little,
please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating
my answer service. You can rate the service whenever you like

Although the site
may give you the impression that the thread closes after you have rated the
answer but that is not the case. It stays open for you to continue to read the
thread and to ask for follow-up which I will answer with pleasure.