75100385

I rented a garage/storeroom from a local council 25 years ago.

Customer Question

I rented a garage/storeroom from a local council 25 years ago. After 5 years the ownership changed but I was not informed. I have not been contacted for rent or anything else since. What are my rights?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

Do you have a tenancy agreement or lease please?

JACUSTOMER-94ld5vo1- :

no

Alex Watts :

In this case you have what is called a tenancy at will.

Alex Watts :

This means that the tenancy for the garage can be terminated at any time by either party because you have no agreement, no lease, no tenancy, no security of tenure.

Alex Watts :

However they would have to give you reasonable notice if they wanted you to leave which would be anything from 1 up to 3 months.

Alex Watts :

But in law without any form of contract, lease or tenancy agreement you have very limited rights and are only there because the new Landlord lets you.

Alex Watts :

You could sign a new agreement with the new owner which would give security.

Alex Watts :

I realise this may not be the answer you want and it is certainly not the one I want to give, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything about this for you today please? Alex

JACUSTOMER-94ld5vo1- :

do I not have any squatters rights?

JACUSTOMER-94ld5vo1- :

Will I be liable for any back rent if I proceed?

Alex Watts :

No - because you have no tenancy and this is a commercial property not private dwelling

Alex Watts :

Yes you are liable for any rent but to a maximum of 6 years.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex