Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

The owner of a flat has not paid service charges for 3 years

Customer Question

The owner of a flat has not paid service charges for 3 years and we have no contact details.
Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your question here on Just answer. It is my pleasure to try and assist you with this today. Please bear with me if I need to ask for any further information from you in order for me to be able to advise you fully. My name is Law Denning and I am a practising solicitor. I have been an expert on this website in UK law since 2008. During that time, as you appreciate, I have answered thousands of questions from satisfied users on a variety of subjects.
Because we are all in practice with clients and court and other users, I might not always respond in minutes, particularly evenings and weekends. Please bear with me in that case. I will be online and off-line all day most weekdays and weekends.

Do you have a specific question? Could you explain your situation a bit more please.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We are the block managers of a block of flats. Part of our role is to collect service charges from owners for the upkeep of the block. One owner has not paid service charges for 3 years and not responded to demands sent to the flat. We have no contact details (mobile number no longer works) for the owner and it would appear the flat is now occupied by several people none of which speak english.

Expert:  Stuart J replied 4 years ago.

What language do they speak? Are you sure they don't speak
English or are they pretending that they don't speak English?

What is the address of the owner on the land registry title deeds?

If you don't have them already, you can get them here for just 3
pounds

https://eservices.landregistry.gov.uk/www/wps/portal/!ut/p/b1/04_SjzS0tDQwMTIxMjLXj9CPykssy0xPLMnMz0vMAfGjzOKNjSxMDA1NjDwsjM3MDTxN3dyNDUNMjQ1MjPWDU_P0c6McFQH3SLFU/

do you have a previous
address for him? Have you tried a tracing agency?

On the basis that the owner
will want to sell the property or remortgage it one day, in the short term,
does this cause you a problem or would you be happy to wait provided you get
paid in the end anyway?