Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I purchased our house and was supplied with the Land Registry

Customer Question

I purchased our house and was supplied with the Land Registry details.
I asked for the Deeds and was told none where available is this ok?
Expert:  Stuart J replied 3 years ago.

What were you expecting?

It is the age of austerity and saving the rainforest.

In the days before most properties were registered at the land registry (even though the land registration act has been around since 1925, until the last 20 years or so, many properties were not registered) you would have had a very nice bundle of pretty title deeds and for an all property they would have been very interesting.

Then along came registration and the land registry produced a land certificate or a charge certificate (brown or blue) depending whether there was a mortgage on the property are not.

It was a big but not quite as pretty but very nicely bound.

Then they introduced some smaller and not quite as nicely bound land certificates and charge certificates,

and about 10 years ago, they abolished altogether so now all you get best is printed piece of A4 paper. The reason is that none of the certificates had any inherent value because the proof of title is the land registry records.

Preregistration title deeds used to be valuable but once the property is registered they are of no intrinsic value.

What are important guarantees and certificates which you need to keep safe. The question is very common in people are disappointed that they have bought what is the most expensive item they will ever buy in most cases and they get something which is not even as good-looking as the V5 for a car!

Does that answer the question? Can I assist further or answer any specific queries?

If you have not done already, please don't forget to positively rate my answer service even if it was not what you wanted to hear. You should now see a series of buttons which enable you to rate my answer service formally.
If you don't rate it positively, then the site keep your deposit and I get 0 for my time. It is imperative that you give my answer a positive rating.
It doesn’t give me, “a pat on the head”, “good boy” (like ebay), it is my livelihood!
If in ratings you feel that you expected more or it only helped a little, please ask.

The thread does remain open for me to answer follow-up questions after rating my answer service.
Rating doesn’t close the enquiry at all even though the site may give that impression. It remains open for you to read and ask for further clarification.
Regards.

PS Experts on here are online and off-line all day each day and weekends so please bear with me if I do not get back to you immediately.

PS. I use voice type, voice recognition typing because I only type with two fingers and it would take me ages. Sometimes, a computer does not hear me correctly and you will get an incoherent word. I do try to but sometimes they slip through. I apologise therefore if anything doesn’t make sense. It is me losing it, not you. Just ask if anything is not clear please.