Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Can a neighbour build a block boundary wall totally on his

Customer Question

Can a neighbour build a block boundary wall totally on his land but with the supporting pillars facing mine. If he can what rights would I have to improve the appearance. Tks John
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Are the supporting pillars also entirely on his land?
JACUSTOMER-49dz4keo- :

Yes, the total wall including the pillars is on his land and I suspect that therefore while unconventional, he can do it. That's why I asked what rights I would have to improve appearance ie could he prevent me planting inbetween the pillars ( his land ) or prevent me attaching lightweight screening to the wall ? Many thanks John

wingrovebuyer : Thanks. It's correct that if if it's all on his land, he can effectively do as he pleases, including putting the pillars on "your side". However, you are not entitled to do anything to improve the appearance. Painting the wall, or attaching things to it may actually equate to criminal damage. Planting plants on his land would be trespassing. The only option is to erect your own fence on your land, to screen off the wall. As you get on well with the neighbour, why not ask him if you can improve the appearance of the wall on your side? It's likely he willl agree, but you don't have any legal rights to do anything about it.
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 3 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below your Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.