tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

Hi. I rent a flat which is managed by my landlady. When I moved

Customer Question

Hi. I rent a flat which is managed by my landlady. When I moved in a washing machine was installed. Unfortunately it was not connected properly and there had been a slow leak under the sink in the kitchen. This I have not noticed until there had become a big wet patch on the ceiling under the kitchen. I informed the landlady that there was obviously there was a leak and at this time I did not know where from. She then said she would get her friend the plummer in. In the mean time a friend of mine had a look and noticed it was just the connection and tightened it up. This resolved the problem. But my landlady is now saying that I left the tap on, which I did not. I think that she is now going to try and say its my fault and charge me the cost for the damage and possibly take it out of my deposit. Please help. Thank you
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 4 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, thank you for your question.

tdlawyer :

My name is Tony, I am a solicitor, and I can help you with this.

tdlawyer :

Do you have any evidence that it was like this when you moved in? Apart from your friend, that is?

JACUSTOMER-r6jykhrh- :

Hi Tony, my name is Sue,

tdlawyer :

Hello Sue.

JACUSTOMER-r6jykhrh- :

There was no washing machine when I moved in. it was installed a week after I moved in. The company installed it. This was 3 months ago. It was at the weekend when I noticed the wet patch on the ceiling under the kitchen. I then told the landlady who said she would get her friend the plummer to have a look. A friend of mine was around last night and had a look and noticed it was just a connection that had never been tightened up

JACUSTOMER-r6jykhrh- :

He then tightened it up and the leaking stopped.

tdlawyer :

And you didn't instal it, or do any work to the tap? And would you have had reason to get anybody else out to it but for the leak?

JACUSTOMER-r6jykhrh- :

No I did not install it or ever touch the connection under the sink. I never knew there was a leak untill I noticed the wet patch on the ceiling.

tdlawyer :

Okay, so the starting point is her word against yours. But, in your favour, you did not install it (and hence, would not have been liable for the initial leak), secondly, you would have no reason to get somebody to look at it unless there was a problem, which you reported to your landlady at the time.

tdlawyer :

Thirdly, the landlady herself has no credible explanation as to why you would want to mess at the back of the machine at all.

tdlawyer :

It looks like the facts favour your version of events, but essentially, this does come down to the Court having to look at all the circumstances and work out who caused the leak. #

tdlawyer :

I don't think you have a lot to worry about here, it seems to me like the landlady is unfairly trying to blame you for this.

tdlawyer :

Hello - does this answer your question for this afternoon? Is there anything more I can add for you?

tdlawyer :

If this answers your question please remember to rate the answer for me.