wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi. I have a top floor flat and share the freehold with three

Customer Question

Hi. I have a top floor flat and share the freehold with three other flats. The roof leaks and is causing damage to the walls and ceiling. The secretary of the company that looks after the flats has been aware of the problem for over a year, but will not set anything in motion. No quotes, no section 20. Is there anything I can do if the other freeholders refuse to pay their share of the repair?
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. Do you have a copy of your lease and can you afford to pay for repair yourself, at least for now?
JACUSTOMER-z1j17wo0- :

my solicitor had the lease and the freehold ahreement. it says that befor any repairs ate done the money has to be collectef up front. the cost at this time will be £4000, but ;my builder expects 9000.tjat the cost will rise to £

JACUSTOMER-z1j17wo0- :

ps £9000 if we have a wet winter and the roof timbers rot out.

wingrovebuyer : Thanks. Do you know why your solicitor has said you should pay? What's his justification?