75100385

Hi,I have recently bought a motorhome and parked in the

Customer Question

I have recently bought a motorhome and parked in the local village hall PUBLIC car park where there are another 3 or 4 others.
I have now, as have the others received on the windscreen a note from a member of the village parish council stating that if I do remove the vehicle by the end of November the village parish council may take formal action against me through the County Court and make an application for an order that I pay the cost incurred in doing so!
They state that parking such vehicles as mobile homes/leisure vehicles or similar is not permitted and that I have not been given permission to park this vehicle for this purpose.
Ironically one of the other motor homes is owned by a member of the committee and has told me it is a public car park and feel it is in their right to park it there as they have done for several years.
Please can you tell me where I stand?
John Ackerman

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : Is it parked there long term or do you pay for parking please?
JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

Hi, it is parked there long term and no fee is payed in this public village car park. This car park is also used by local residants and people visiting the village hall for use by others in cars and vans. The motor homes are the only vehicles that have to be removed.

Alex Watts : Does the Council have a policy in relation to this issue please?
JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

Hi Alex

JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

Hi Alex, sorry for the delay but the village parish council have only now come back to me on your question "Does the council have a policy in this issue?" They have now replied with the following:

The Policy on Mobile homes (and similar type of vehicles) is as per the notice placed on your vehicle on 14 October 2013.
Whilst one or two mobile homes (or similar type of vehicles) parked at the Village Hall did not raise concerns, we are aware that up to seven have been parked at one time. This number obviously causes concern.
As I am sure you will appreciate, there is not enough parking places to satisfy the villagers, as now a days most dwellings have more than one vehicle.
It is a issue which is not easy to resolve but does certainly needs addressing.
The blanket ban on these types of vehicles will stay in place whilst other options are being explored.

Alex please find a copy of the original letter below:

To the owner/occupier of the vehicle registration no E427 JPA

It has come to our attention that the above vehicle has been parked on land owned by the parish council at the village hall site.

Would you please note this land is provided for the purpose of parking cars and vans but NOT mobile homes/leisure vehicles or similar. It is also to accommodate the vehicles of people hiring and visiting the village hall, on council business and for council staff.

Any parking of vehicles such as mobile homes/leisure vehicles or similar is not permitted and you have not been given permission to park your vehicle here for this purpose. Would you therefore please remove this vehicle and any other similar vehicles you may have from the council land by the end of November.

We regret that if your vehicle is not removed by 0900 hours on Sat 30 November 2013, Burham parish council may take more formal action against you through the county court and make an application for an order that you pay the costs incurred in doing so.

By order of the parish council. I have heard that the land is owned by the council, not the parish council, not sure if this makes a difference? Your help would be greately appreciated. regards John Ackerman

JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

Hi Alex

JACUSTOMER-kn1gfa8e- :

Hi Alex

I am being asked to leave feedback on your answer, but I have not received an answer to my question! I did specify that there Is no urgency but I am not sure why I am receiving such requests!

Please could you let me know your answer on my last question?

John Ackerman