75100385

Can local council dictate type and height of garden fence

Customer Question

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.
Alex Watts : How high is the fence please?
JACUSTOMER-7njyfc7i- :

The fence at its highest point is five feet at the moment. The curved panels we want to put in would be 6 feet 8 inches at its highest point.

Alex Watts :

There is law to suggest that Councils regulate fence heights but as long as it is not more then 2 meters high, borders a highway or in a conservation area, then it should not be a problem.

Alex Watts :

Anything higher than 2m (or 1m if next to a Highway or conservation area) then planning permission WOULD be needed.

Alex Watts :

You need to ask the Council for a copy of their policy on this as yours may fall into this.

Alex Watts :

But yes, Councils can regulate the height but not type of fence.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question I hope my service has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/