75100385

Which is normal practice on the signing of a commercial lease? 1.

Customer Question

Which is normal practice on the signing of a commercial lease?

1. The landlord signs two copies of the lease and gives it to he tenant to sign.
or
2. The tenant signs two copies of the lease and then gets a copy back signed by the landlord.

My worry with scenario 2 is that the landlord could change the lease and the tenant would then have a lease signed by them with terms that they did not agree to.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return.

Alex Watts :

It is normally 2 - the tenant signs two copies and sends it back.

Alex Watts :

If you initial the bottom of each page, you would know if the Landlord has added any additional terms.

Alex Watts :

Therefore sign at the end or initial each page.

Alex Watts :

Or you could, once agreed, go and see the Landlord and both sign together.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question, please take a moment before you leave and rate my service, which I hope has been excellent, it only takes a second and is an important part of the process. Otherwise if you need more information or help then please click reply. Alex

Customer :

Good

Alex Watts :

If you could please formally rate my clicking the happy face - that allows me to be credited by the site - thanks.