29905560

Per my contract of employment I have to give three months notice

Customer Question

Per my contract of employment I have to give three months notice to my employer but he only has to give me one months notice. Is this legally fair?
Hello, my name is Ben and it is my pleasure to assist you with your question today.

Before proceeding please note that as I am a practising solicitor, I am often in and out of meetings, travelling between clients or even at court when I pick your question up. This may even occur at weekends. Therefore, I apologise in advance but there may be a delay in getting back to you and providing my advice. Please be patient and I will respond as soon as I can. You do not have to wait here and you will receive an email when I have responded. For now please let me know how long you have worked there.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have worked for my current employer since March 2010.

Sorry the system had not notified me that you had replied. It is entirely legal to have different notice periods for employee and employer - there is no law that states both parties have to give the same notice period depending on who is terminating the contract. The law only offers protection in a sense that you are entitled to receive the minimum statutory notice period you are entitled to by law. This is 1 week for the first two years of employment, increasing by a week for every subsequent full year of employment up to a maximum of 12 weeks' notice.

I hope this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating, or if you are unhappy for some reason with the advice - please get back to me and I will assist further as best as I can. Thank you very much