Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi i have recently applied to buy my house through the right

Customer Question

Hi i have recently applied to buy my house through the right to buy scheme i have been given 26 years worth of discount this is 56 percent however i could have received 60 percent if i can prove that i rented a flat 6 years prior to my current address,however the housing association who rented out the flat to me no longer exist and the current owners of the property only have records going back to 1999, i lived in the flat from 1980 to 1986 i was married at the time so the flat was in my married name. i thought about asking the council to look at their records,i suggested finding out from my local history centre to research the electoral register but the person dealing with my application on right to buy said that would only prove i lived there no proof i rented it! this is so frustrating as i am losing out on at least 3k.
I also contacted the bank but they say all records are deleted prior to 2006

Can you advise me?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you have any evidence at all supporting what you say? What about bank statements please?

JACUSTOMER-o46c14so- :

Alex Watts :

Hey

JACUSTOMER-o46c14so- :

if i had statements i would not be asking or paying for advice as i said in my question the bank have no records prior to 2006

Alex Watts :

The bank will. You need to write pursuant to the Data Protection Act - they will have them archived or micro fiche.

JACUSTOMER-o46c14so- :

? where ! is there an address i can write to? i was assured by the bank that all info is deleted and there is no way i could trace anything prior to 2006, i cannot remember if i paid through the bank anyway! would the council tax payments be archived? i do remember paying this either cash or cheque at the town hall

Alex Watts :

Indeed payments would be archived.

Alex Watts :

You can write to the bank head office and the Council for the records. They should have them.

JACUSTOMER-o46c14so- :

And who do I get this information from because the bank have stated that they are not able to provide any information prior to 2006, I know that, you aren't telling me anything different to what I already know

Alex Watts :

Head Office.

JACUSTOMER-o46c14so- :

That is blatently obvious, I am not finding your answers helpful I am afraid

Alex Watts :

Ok - well I shall opt out and I will wish you all the best with this. No need to reply as it comes back to my Inbox and I am sure another expert will be along.