How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question

Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70122
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

I need to change the Trustees on the Land Registry on a property

Customer Question

I need to change the Trustees on the Land Registry on a property that I own? One of the trustees is a solicitor the other is myself. The solicitors company have now taken since Feb 2013 to do this, and still it has not been achieved. I have spoken to the Land Registry dept. who have told me which forms to fill in. The property is leasehold.
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.


What are the details of the trust please?


Why do you want to change the trustees?


Will they agree?


Do you know the cause of the delay?



Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It is my late fathers will trust where a property has been left to me in trust until the death of my stepmother who resides in a nursing home due to a stroke.

The solicitor suggested that he relinquishs this responsibility, and for my two children (over 30) to become Trustees. Yes the solicitor is in agreement with this change of Trustees.

I think the delay is that the property is leasehold, and the holder of the freehold (the builder) has to agree the change. Although the Land Registry tell me he thinks we should go ahead and complete the necessary forms (AP1 AND tr1) Also I think the solicitor's company are not actioning this quick enough.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you.

Can I presume there is no mortgage on the property?

The solicitor needs to sign a deed of resignation and also the remaining trustees need to sign a deed of appointment in respect of the new trustees

Once you have those, then if you want to do this yourself, you need forms TR1 and AP1 and ID1. ID1 will need a photograph certifying by a solicitor as a true likeness of you.

If there is a restriction on the property title deeds, whereby the freeholder has to consent to the transfer, you are going to have to get the freeholder to sign a simple letter agreeing to the transfer.

Although it can be done by a formal deed, it can be done by a letter as well.

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions