How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question

Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 69374
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

tenant gives required 6 months notice on property but now wants

Customer Question

tenant gives required 6 months notice on property but now wants to stay for a further month, although we have a tenant waiting to occupy
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

What type of contract is this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

business lease

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

If this is a commercial property then you are entitled to lock the tenant out at the end of the term if they do not move out voluntary and change the locks.

To pursue that though you must not accept more rent. If you do then they will be entitled to gain entry.

There is not really any more to this than that.

Can I clarify anything for you?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As the tenant gave the required 6 months notice we have taken a new tenant who expects to take up the tenancy the day after the existing gave formal notice to quit, obviously he will not be able to occupy the premises, what is my legal position.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I covered the position in relation to the old tenant above.

If they leave goods on the premises then you can put them into storage and charge the old tenant.

In relation to the new tenant, if you have given them an agreement in writing that the term starts on the particular date and they cannot move in on that date, then you are in breach of contract and they are entitled to damages unfortunately but you can recover your losses from the old tenant.

You will be entitled to sue the old tenant for any loss you incur and for any money that you have to pay to the new tenant.

If the new tenant has not signed an agreement yet and does not have a signed agreement from you then you are not liable to them.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So if the new tenant sues us for breach of contract and I loose a full 12 months rental the old tenant is liable to make that good?

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Yes, he would be because its obvious that if he doesn't move out a new tenant who is ready to move in will have to find an alternative premises.

However, you are under an obligation to mitigate your loss by finding a new tenant and you will have to prove that you have looked in order to claim from the old tenant.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Last | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 20 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.