75100385

Council Flat Purchase - Need expert advice on Council definition

Customer Question

Council Flat Purchase - Need expert advice on Council definition of 'only if the property is your only or principle house'
I live in a Council flat and look after my grandson 4 days per week. I bought a small studio flat in Southend -on- sea as a weekend retreat 2 years ago . I am worried that I may have breach the above condition and cannot now buy my Council flat. The definition of principle seems to have different meaning in tax law! very confused ! Can a solicitor please advise me if I can still buy my Council flat as in my view my flat is still my ' principle home'.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : You do not need to worry. The definition is clear, it has to be your only or principle home. As you only use the studio flat as a weekend retreat and you spend the majority of time at your current property then you would not be excluded.
Alex Watts : The current property Is your principle home as you spend more time here than anywhere else.
Alex Watts : Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?
JACUSTOMER-9803o134- :

Thank you - you have answered my query fully

Alex Watts : If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’. Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/
Alex Watts :

Can I help further?