75100385

Hello. My previous tenant left owing over £1,500 in arrears

Hello. My previous tenant left owing over £1,500 in arrears which she had verbally, and by text, agreed she owed. I do not have a forwarding address, but I do have her National Insurance number. Can I get this money from her, and, if so, how?

The rent on the flat was £500 per month and her tenancy started 24/8/12. She vacated on 31st October 2013. I have kept the texts we exchanged, of which there were many.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Sadly unless you have a forwarding address you will have difficulty in getting a County Court Judgment.

Alex Watts :

The rules require that you serve at the last known or normal address.

Alex Watts :

If you do not have a forwarding address you could issue proceedings at her last known (your property) address.

Alex Watts :

But this means you would have spent money getting a CCJ and no way of enforcing it.

Alex Watts :

Really you need to know where the address is.

Alex Watts :

If you have a National Insurance number this is just that, it is not any use.

Alex Watts :

If you know where she works you could get a CCJ at your address and then apply for an attachment to earnings from the employer/

Alex Watts :

But sadly if you have no details of her address or employer you have no realistic way of getting your money back.

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you are looking for and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No. That's given me what I need. Thank you.