75100385

my neighbour who lives directly opposite us has white H line

Customer Question

my neighbour who lives directly opposite us has white H line on the road she does not have a driveway only a garden gate 3feet wide with steps up to her house. She insists that this white line is for her own private use. Does she have a legal right to make this demand It is not a disabled box marking I would be very grateful if you could let me know where I stand on this.

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : I do not quite understand when you say a H line
Alex Watts : Perhaps you could explain differently? I assume these road markings were out there by the council please?
JACUSTOMER-9twze7nu- :

A H line is a line about the width of a driveway with a short bar at each end painted on the roadside to prevent parking outside driveways , in this case there is no driveway just a pavement and the line is about 2 car lengths does this have any legal status.

Alex Watts :

When you say the line, I assume no-one can park there?

Alex Watts :

Who painted this?

JACUSTOMER-9twze7nu- :

The council

Alex Watts :

The line is NOT for her own private use.

Alex Watts :

This is because the lines are for Highway use, not for individual use.

Alex Watts :

Therefore the answer is no, the neighbour can not insist this is just for their own use.

Alex Watts :

If it was for their own use, there would be a residence permit - there is not.

Alex Watts :