Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I own a leasehold property as a landlord. It is the downstairs

Customer Question

I own a leasehold property as a landlord. It is the downstairs flat of a converted house. The owner of the upstairs flat also owns the freehold. The tenant of the upstairs flat caused substantial water damage to my flat. This resulted in the removal of the ceiling. Through his insurance, the freeholder will reimburse the costs incurred. Three months later, it has not been possible to make repairs for a variety of reasons, including a second leak from upstairs.

However, because of the damage and inconvenience to my tenants I negotiated a rent reduction with them. I believe I have a case to claim for my loss of rent against the owner of the upstairs flat through the county court. Do you think I might be successful?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

How did the water damage come about?