Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi Alex, I am ShreeRam and I rent privately from a landlord

Customer Question

Hi Alex,
I am ShreeRam and I rent privately from a landlord in Southampton.
My tenanacy agreement is unique and maes me responsible for everything except fictures and structure in my furnished accomodation. I had a small kitchen fire a month ago and have had no kitchen for the last 50 days or so. Now the landlord has sent a trader to do the work on the kitchen from late last week. The workers come in and leave as they want. There is no communiction of who is comming and when. Last week they left all doors open and just left! I spoke to the landlord and she has been really rude and said i am blocking work from getting done and given us 2 months notice to leave. Now I have said I will want to have full view of their plan of working the property and agreement that it will work for me before they proceed so I can ensure my family is safe. The landlord has been very rude and accused me of blocking work but I am unable to do anythingabout letting the work continue if the workers behave this way.
I a not sure what to do going forward.
Please can you pelas advice?

Alex Watts : Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.
Alex Watts : What type of tenancy is it, an assured shorthold please?
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

yes it is a assured shorthold Alex

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

I am now 8 months into it and it has a 6 month fixed and a 2 month notice. this notice has now been served by my landlord

Alex Watts : The landlord is insisting on coming in to do the work? Is there anything in the agreement that allows him to do this?
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

The rental agreement does obligate me to allow him access to the property with minimum 24hr notice.

Alex Watts : Has the Landlord given you a schedule of works please?
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

No alex, they have not given any schedule of works.

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

this has been requested multiple times both verbally and through e-mail.

Alex Watts :

In that case you can refuse until they give you this schedule.

Alex Watts :

If they refuse then you could deny entry on the basis they have failed to provide this.

Alex Watts :

In any event the Landlord does not need access unless there is a problem with the property.

Alex Watts :

In any event under the Housing Act for an AST you are not liable for internal matters, these are the responsibility of the Landlord.

Alex Watts :

But you can refuse if a schedule is provided.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

Is this even if my rental agreement states otherwise? My rental agreement is unique and may be worth you having a read of it. is there away for me to send it to you?

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

I have a scanned copy I can email

Alex Watts :

Ok - email it to: [email protected] - but note it can take up to 24 hours to get to me.

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

Sent now

Alex Watts : Ok
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

The mail bounced Alex. The message says the mailbox does not exist. Is there a different ID that I can use?

Alex Watts : [email protected]
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

Keeps bouncing. Let me see if I can copy paste it here...

Alex Watts : Ok
JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

I am unable to send this to you. bioth in e-mail and in text...

JACUSTOMER-6e4u2un8- :

can you suggest alternate please?