Nicola-mod
Nicola-mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73944119

Is a tenancy agreement legal if someone other than the landlord

Customer Question

Is a tenancy agreement legal if someone other than the landlord as signed it

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Who has signed it please?

JACUSTOMER-8ugcqfbm- : Her sister
Alex Watts :

Yes it can be. It is the legal doctrine of the unknown principle.

Alex Watts :

So if you did not know the true identity of the Landlord when signing then it is legal.

Alex Watts :

If you knew the Landlord was not the sister then the tenancy agreement is not binding.

Alex Watts :

JACUSTOMER-8ugcqfbm- : I new both the sister and landlord mainly the sister who I thought was a true friend now gone pair shaped and need to no my rights as a tenant
Alex Watts :

If you knew and accepted it - then it is binding.

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 years ago.

Just a quick reminder, there is an unrated answer waiting for you here from the Professional.

If the Expert was helpful, rating their answer as satisfactory transfers your deposit to them – this is how the Expert is compensated.

To rate your answer, you can go to your question page, and click one of the five faces below the Expert's answer. Please be sure you are logged in with your username and password or you will not be able to view or rate your answer.

If you still need help with your question, please feel free to reply to the Expert on this question page. You may ask as many follow-up questions on the same question page as you need until you are satisfied.