75100385

Hi, We currently have a assured shorthold tenancy agreement

Customer Question

We currently have a assured shorthold tenancy agreement from July 2013 to July 2014. It has a break clause that we can give notice at the '6 month' stage with 2 months notice.

My husband has had his wages reduced and we are no longer able to afford the rent. Our next rent is due 6th December. We have missed the deadline above. Can we give one months notice on this date?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Sadly the clause is clear - you need to give 2 months notice at 6 months.

Alex Watts :

But if you explain the situation to the Landlord they may be open to allow you to leave.

Alex Watts :

After all it would be far better that you leave than rack up arrears, not be able to pay, the Landlord pays for Court proceedings and you move out.

Alex Watts :

That is how you need to sell it.

Alex Watts :

But sadly the contract is clear, you need to give 2 months notice at 6 months

Alex Watts :