Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

Shingle tiles have just from my garage roof and broken

Shingle tiles have just blown from my garage roof and broken a neighbours window. Roof was in good repair, just incredibly strong winds. Do I need to pay for my neighbours window?
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 years ago.

Joshua :

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practicing lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Joshua :

If roof tiles blew off due to wind and not due to failure to maintain then it is for the neighbour to claim on their insurance.

Joshua :

In order for the neighbour to claim against you they must show negligence on your part - e.g. roof in poor repair - in order to fashion a claim against you.

Customer:

Ok, thats great. She has told me her insurance company wont cover storm damage. I guess that is still not my problem?

Joshua :

It isn't your problem as you say. You are responsible for the damage to your own roof of course if you choose to repair it but her own damage is for her to bear. She should ensure she has adequate coverage for her needs but this is a matter for her.

Joshua :

Is there anything above I can clarify for you?

Customer:

No thats great ..... thank you.

Joshua :

If you have no further questions for now I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to rate my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with though please reply back to me though.

Customer:

Will do

Joshua :