75100385

Hi I have lived in our terraced one bedroom house for almost

Customer Question

I have lived in our terraced one bedroom house for almost seven years. It has a communal drying area as the back garden which we own half of. The other half is owned by another gentleman who has erected a fence down the boundary line, which neither myself or my husband have a problem with. The property states though that we have to allow access to the other two properties (which do not own any of the back garden) for dying purposes. We have erected a large shed which planning had reported to them a few years ago by another neighbour but it was deemed within limits as we we'll knew and was allowed to stay. What we would like to know is as it is a one bedroom house with a long window into the back garden would we be allowed to put a conservatory in the garden. The limitations on our deed state we can't limit light or airspace? Also there is a small area of grass out the front of the house and we own that too without any access rights over and would like to know if we would need any planning permission to extend on the front of the house?Thanks

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you live in a conversation area? What size is the structure likely to be please?

JACUSTOMER-f74gs6d9- : No we don't live in a conservation area. We were looking at approximatelyb3 x4m
Alex Watts :

Detailed guidance can be found here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/conservatories/

Alex Watts :

Adding a conservatory to your house is considered to be permitted development, not needing an application for planning permission, subject to the limits and conditions listed below.

Alex Watts :
  1. Do you need permission
  2. Common Projects
  3. Conservatories

Conservatories

You are viewing guidance for England. To view guidance specific to Wales, please select the 'Welsh site' option from the top right of this page.

Planning Permission

This guidance reflects increases to the size limits for single-storey rear extensions which apply between 30 May 2013 and 30 May 2016, and the associated neighbour consultation scheme.

• No more than half the area of land around the "original house"* would be covered by additions or other buildings.
  • No extension forward of the principal elevation or side elevation fronting a highway.
  • No extension to be higher than the highest part of the roof.
  • Single-storey rear extension must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres if an attached house or by four metres if a detached house.
    In addition, outside Article 1(5) designated land* and Sites of Special Scientific Interest the limit is increased to 6m if an attached house and 8m if a detached house until 30 May 2016.
    These increased limits (between 3m and 6m and between 4m and 8m respectively) are subject to theneighbour consultation scheme.
  • Maximum height of a single-storey rear extension of four metres.
  • Extensions of more than one storey must not extend beyond the rear wall of the original house* by more than three metres or be within seven metres of any boundary opposite the rear wall of the house.
  • Maximum eaves height of an extension within two metres of the boundary of three metres.
  • Maximum eaves and ridge height of extension no higher than existing house.
  • Side extensions to be single storey with maximum height of four metres and width no more than half that of the original house.
  • Roof pitch of extensions higher than one storey to match existing house.
  • No verandas, balconies or raised platforms.
  • On designated land* no permitted development for rear extensions of more than one storey; no cladding of the exterior; no side extensions.
Alex Watts :

Therefore if it is contained within the above, you do not need planning permission

Alex Watts :