LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

i have been in my downstairs flat for 8 years. the rent of

Customer Question

i have been in my downstairs flat for 8 years. the rent of 490 per month all payments up to date. the flat upstairs is empty. i have got a feeling he might be selling the house' plese could you tell me my rights thankyou
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Do you have a written tenancy agreement. H

LondonlawyerJ :

If so how long is your tenancy for? Is your landlord a private individual or an organisation? Apart from the flat upstairs being empty is there ant

LondonlawyerJ :

Any other reason for your suspicions? Please answer these questions and I should be able to help you.

JACUSTOMER-jakiikmd- :

rollover tenancy with a private landlord

LondonlawyerJ :

I am assuming your tenancy is an assured shorthold tenancy. If it is with a private landlord and it is not expressly some other kind of tenancy it will be. By rollover I assume you mean that the initial period of the tenancy has ended and you are now on a periodic tenancy. If the landlord sells the property then that will not end your tenancy rights. Unfortunately your rights as a periodic assured shorthold tenant are very limited. All your landlord need do to get possession is give at least 2 months notice that he requires possession of the property and if you remain in the property at the end of the notice period he can then take court action for possession which would almost certainly succeed.

LondonlawyerJ :

This may not be what you were hoping to hear but is the correct advice I am afraid. Please contact me if I can be of any further assistance and I would be grateful if you could take the time to rate my service to you.