Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, We live in a bungalow and share a drive we were advised

Customer Question

We live in a bungalow and share a drive we were advised by a security co that installing a metal gate between the two premises would make us less vulnerable to breakins.As the other premises is a let, the landlady felt this was not necessary.We were prepared to pay for the whole of the installation but needed her permission to attach one side to her wall, is there in way she could be held responsible for any break ins via the rear of the properties.
Kind regards.
B Johns
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

On what basis? Because of her view of the gates ?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
As she does not live at the property she feels that it is not necessary. She could not give any reason other than above.the properties are vulnerable down the drive as the security co.
told us. It would mean 2 bolts attached to her property.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure I can give you good news.

The landlord of the property next door is not responsible for any break-ins to your property or to his own property even if the security company suggested installing gates and she refused.

You would have to prove that the landlord had been negligent and that would just plain not be possible in a case like this.

If she will not give permission for this, I'm sorry to have to tell you that there is no way of forcing her to do so and you need her permission.

I cannot see why she should not give permission because she would appear to have nothing to lose and everything to gain but that is a matter for her and some people are unreasonable.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.