wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

i have owned my property out right for 4 years. its a converted

Customer Question

i have owned my property out right for 4 years. its a converted house split into 2 LARGE FLATS. its is leased hold land. I pay ground rent and landlord insurance to my freeholder, what does annoy me is the fact I have to pay the management fee to hair and son which as they say I have to pay to them. I don't employ them, the landlord does, I don't see why I should bear the cost of the fee, which is currently £80 per year for them to send me 2 letters a year. They say its reasonable and it should be £120 + vat and it may go up. I don't have service contracts for maintenance I am responsible that. I have also tried to buy the freehold, I am told the owner doesn't want to sell. The freeholder owns hundreds of freeholds in Essex and wont sell to me. I am stuck with this cost which I feel is unjust and no benefit to me, what can I do about this problem I have approached Hair and son and there seems to be no answer. If I can stop this rising charge it would be a great help. or not have to pay at all.
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. The freeholder can only pass on this cost if your lease says he can. You need to check your lease - do you have a copy handy?