Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, we started renting property - residential accommodation

Customer Question

Hi, we started renting property - residential accommodation and commercial lease of stable (equestrian). On 6 months contract with 1 mont end notice. Immediately conditions of lease of the stables changed from the landlords side, accommodation turned to be with a lot of issues (heating not working, water, etc.). I gave 1 month notice and we left within 3 weeks as accommodation was so uncomfortable to live in. Now landlord does not want to return security deposit untill he finds new tenants as he says. Also says that it was signed for 6 months so we had to keep renting for 6 months and if he doesnțt find any new tenatns within 3 months he is not going to return deposits at all. Can anything be done about it to get deposits back ? Thanks
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Was there a break clause in the contract please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo, thanks, the contracts said 6 months with 1 month notice to terminate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

As I see it there was no break from our side. From Landlords it was not on contract, but in not official sort, but in writing. It was agreed that his man sub-rents half of the stables from us, but it never happened.

With accommodation - it turned to not suitable for comfortable living.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I would not worry about the stables in this.

The fact that the property had no hot water does not give you an automatic right to terminate the tenancy early. What you can do is claim compensation and complain to Environmental Health who can issue an improvement notice.

You are responsible for the rent either until the end of the term or until the landlord gets another tenant. He is under a duty to try to find another tenant.

If he will not return the deposit to you then you need to either file a dispute with the tenants deposit scheme or sue him for the return of the deposit in the Small Claims Court.

Here is the link to the Small Claims Court

www.moneyclaim.gov.uk