Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I am a tenant at a property with 8 months remaining of a 12

Customer Question

I am a tenant at a property with 8 months remaining of a 12 month term. I have received an eviction notice from the landlords mortgagee who wishes to take possession due to mortgage arrears. The lender has also confirmed that the landlord does not have permission to rent the property out and the mortgage predates my tenancy (although the possession action is not for breach of mortgage conditions - just arrears). My landlord is adamant that he can 'sort things out' and is insisting that I stay for the remainder of the term of the tenancy. He has also said that if I try to leave early he will keep hold of my bond. At present, the lender has agreed to suspend the eviction till 1 March to give me time to find alternative accommodation. I really want to leave now as I do not want a potential eviction hanging over me - what are my rights? Am I entitled to my bond back if I leave early? Thanks
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

In order to give you an answer tailored to your circumstances, I will just need to ask you some preliminary questions so that I can consider your position from all angles.

How much and how was the bond paid?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Jo

Bond was £525 and paid to letting agent by cheque which has been cashed

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

Just to let you know that I've asked somebody to look at this for you as Im in a low coverage area so won't get to this until later.