Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Me and my wife for two years renting room from private landlord.

Customer Question

Me and my wife for two years renting room from private landlord. We do not have signed agreement and landlord have not registered us to this address. Landlord want to evict us from property. What rights do we have in this situation?
Thank You for Your answer.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Are you living in a house with your landlord?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Landlord is living in a small house, what is located in the garden.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Do you share amenities with him?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No, he has everything in that small garden house where he living.gas,electricity and water supply.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

You are likely to be on either a licence to occupy or more likely a periodic tenancy agreement.

If its the former then he has to give you reasonable notice in writing. That usually means 28 days.

If its the latter then he should serve a S21 notice upon you although recent case law has reduced what needs to be included in a S21 notice such that almost anything in writing will be sufficient. You do have a right to remain for two months though if its a periodic.

Come what may though, the landlord is free to evict you in the long run I'm afraid. It will take time and he will need to get proper notices.

If he is not a social landlord then the local council will not be interested I'm afraid.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thats mean we can stay in property at least for two months,of course paying rent to landlord, or till that time when we find other place for living. I think he is social landlord, because he paying mortgage for house, and inspections were coming to check the house if everything is accordingly renting standards.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
He will only be a social landlord if you receive housing benefit.

Actually what it means is that you are guaranteed one month and possibly two depending on the type of contract you are on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
We do not have any contract with landlord. Just verbal agreement. Does it change anything. In this house are living persons who are not even registered in this property...i am thinking that landlord is renting property illegally.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
No, you are still entitled to reasonable notice.

He doesn't have to register his tenants anywhere.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for the positive rating and remember that I am always available to help with your questions. For future information, please start your question with ‘FOR JO C’