Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

I would like to know what fence I am responsible for as all

Customer Question

I would like to know what fence I am responsible for as all my fences have blown down in the recent storms. Is it to the right hand side or the left ?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Im not sure what information I can give other than I live in a terrace house and there is a fence separating me from my neighbours on both sides. To the left and the right. Wh

ich fence is my responsibility ?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi I'm still waiting for a response !! I own a terrace house I have neighbours either side and the fence to the right and left have blown down in the recent storms. I need to know which fence I am legally responsible for.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

There is no legal convention whereby one property owns a fence on the left and the other property owns the fence on the right. All that is a complete myth.

There is also no legal convention whereby the posts side of the fence indicate ownership or that the good side of the fence indicate ownership.

On the Land Registry Title plan there are some times T marks on the boundary which indicate ownership.

In the absence of anything noted in the deeds, then each boundary is deemed to be joint and you are jointly responsible for the maintenance of it along with the neighbour.

If one of the neighbours owns the fence and he does not want to repair it, you cannot make him repair it unless there is a covenant in the deeds to repair it.