75100385

Hello I am renting a flat in SW19 area, I might need to

I am renting a flat in SW19 area, I might need to leave the flat before the terms of the agreement due to change in my personal circumstances.
Can you please advise whether this is possible without losing the deposit or having to pay the outstanding months?
As I am renting via Letting agency I was keen on finding a tenant with references on their behalf and move out when a new deposit has been paid by the new tenant?

Is it something I can negotiate?

please advise

thanks

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Does the tenancy have a termination clause please?

Customer:

it's a 12 months contract with break out clause after 6 months. I started the agreement 18 December 2013

Alex Watts :

Ok - sadly you are liable for the whole period.

Alex Watts :

If you move out then you would be liable for rent during the empty period

Alex Watts :

But if you or the Landlord got someone else in then you would only be responsible for the time when the flat was empty.

Alex Watts :

But until there is another tenant the Landlord can keep your deposit

Alex Watts :

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want and certainly not the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest

Alex Watts :

Customer:

ok, clear ...my question was about negotiations to get somebody else in, so if I can cover with another tenant this would be acceptable and the Agency or Landlord have no reasons to hold my deposit afterwards, correct?

Alex Watts :

Yes that is correct - you can dot his

Alex Watts :

this

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

it does thanks

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/