How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Remus2004 Your Own Question

Remus2004, Barrister
Category: Property Law
Satisfied Customers: 70116
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
Type Your Property Law Question Here...
Remus2004 is online now

Hi there, as a commercial landlord our solicitor has lost our

Customer Question

Hi there, as a commercial landlord our solicitor has lost our original signed lease. Could this be a serious problem for us? What can we do?
Submitted: 3 years ago.
Category: Property Law
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is Jo and I will try to help with this.

Did you receive a copy of the signed lease?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No we no copies
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

How long is the lease for?

Is this a lease that you, as landlords, have granted to tenants?

Does the tenant have a copy of the one signed by you?

Do you have an unsigned copy?

Are you anticipating any problems?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No copies, we don't know if the tenants still have their signed copy. Just about to sell to a developer so at some point they will be served notice

Not sure if there will be a problem just need to know where we stand legally
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
You can always ask the tenants for a copy of the lease because if ever there is a problem over this, they are going to have to produce a copy of it to support anything that you are arguing over.

Depending on when the lease was taken out and the length of the lease, it may be registered at the land registry. If it was post-1995, it has to be registered if the lease is over seven years long. If it was before 1995, it does not have to be registered at the land registry unless it was over 21 years long. The land registry will let you have a copy of the lease, but there is a fee which is usually about £20.

If the lease is under seven years, the land registry will not have a copy.

The buyer will probably ask for a copy of the lease if they had not done already. If you cannot provide a copy, you have to be honest with them and tell them. They will then have to decide whether they want to proceed without it or not

You could possibly be quite frank with the tenant and tell the tenant to that you are selling the property (if he does not know already.) and that you need a copy of the tenants lease to provide to the buyer. You can offer to pay a reasonable fee.

If the tenant says that they do not have the lease that may be a blessing in disguise because if they say that they have not got it, it means they have no proof to use in litigation later on. Although, it does not stop them saying at a later stage, that they could not find it when asked, but did find it at a later stage in time.

If you can prove that the solicitor did have the lease but has lost it, you have an indemnity claim that you can bring against the solicitor for whatever this costs you

Can I clarify anything for you?


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Remus2004



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
< Previous | Next >
  • Remus2004's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice.
  • Thomas's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law.
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
  • Lawyer/2013-10-8_19517_JAPROFILEPICTURE.64x64.jpg Aston Lawyer's Avatar

    Aston Lawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
  • chatham-chamber's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B, Pg.Dip, LL.M, M.B.A (Pending), Solicitor-Advocate. UK Practising Certificate issued by SRA., DIFC Courts Registered (Dubai)
  • Clare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I have been a solicitor in High Street Practise since 1985 with a wide general experience.

Related Property Law Questions