75100385

Some 12 months ago I bought a property with a sitting tenant.

Some 12 months ago I bought a property with a sitting tenant. The tenant was a company.
The tenant gave notice and everthing was fine. However, it now transpires that the tenant orginally paid a deposit and they are now seeking this from me. The original landlord never mention this deposoit so they still hold it. They are no longer contactable.
Do I have to repay the deposit?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

I assume you never signed an agreement with the tenant please?

Customer:

Correct, no agrrement signed

Customer:

hi

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I can confirm no tenancy was signed

Alex Watts :

If there is no signed contract then you are not liable.

Alex Watts :

This is because the original Landlord had the deposit not you

Alex Watts :

Once the house changed hands then the old agreement technically ended.

Customer:

OK, so just to be very clear. It was not my solictors job to establish if the previous tenant had paid any deposit?

Alex Watts :

The old Landlord should have returned the deposit

Alex Watts :

Well ideally they should have.

Alex Watts :

But in any event you are not liable.

Alex Watts :

The old Landlord is

Customer:

OK, thats great news. Forgive me, but this si the first time I have used this site, do I get your answer in writing/email?

Alex Watts :

The answer remains on your account and you can come back to it at any time.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No thats great, I assume i can somehow print this "chat" out?

Alex Watts :

Once you rate the format changes to a single page

Alex Watts :

At that stage you can copy and paste it

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Customer:

Great - Wonderful service - thank you

Alex Watts :