tdlawyer
tdlawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer with 9 years experience of advising on property issues.
73598664

My neighbours tree at the bottom of my garden overhangs my

My neighbours tree at the bottom of my garden overhangs my property by 99%. It also overhangs my greenhouse and when the wind blows it threatens to smash it. I have sent a request to have it trimmed by letter ( no response) and also i spoke to him. He said leave it with him . That was 5months ago no response. He is Chinese and i found him very hardto respond to. In otherwise an ignorant fellow. What can i do. I have taken photos . My son will do this free of charge. Can I just go ahead and do it seeing he dosent want to talk.
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 3 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

You can prevent the tree trespassing into your airspace, i.e. over your fence and into your garden.

tdlawyer :

You can do this by either cutting the tree back yourself or seeking a court order requiring the landowner to do it.

tdlawyer :

You can only do either of these though if the tree is actually in encroaching into your land without your consent.

Customer:

I will get it cut to his boundary What do i do with the branches or trunck

tdlawyer :

Generally, to avoid any suggestion of theft, you would hand them back to him, or at least give him the option of collecting them.

Customer:

Do i have to inform him i am doing this. He will not answer the door or answer any letters

tdlawyer :

You can do yes.