wingrovebuyer
wingrovebuyer, Senior Solicitor
Experience:  Bachelor of Laws (Honours); PG Diploma in Law; Member of ALA; 9 years' experience
22732369

Hi, Ive just recently moved into completely refurbished 2

Customer Question

I've just recently moved into completely refurbished 2 bedroom flat in private block. I rent the flat through Estate Agency. After 1 week I did find out from neighbour the previous tenant set the flat on fire in a purpose of getting Council House :-( The Agent didn't mention anything about. If me and my Wife knew about we would never sign Tenancy Agreement. Can any Estate Agency hide such of information legally from future tenants? I'm polish but livibng in UK over 10 years. In Poland if anyone is hiding information such as (crime in the flat made or flat has been put on fire) can't legally sell or rent the flat, because the new owner or tenant has a right to claim a very high compansation via court. How about UK law? Can you explain me please?

Kind Regards,
Sebastian
Expert:  wingrovebuyer replied 3 years ago.

wingrovebuyer : Hello. If there's nothing wrong with the flat now you can't break the tenancy early or seek compensation just because it had suffered fire damage previously. Sorry - but the history of the flat has nothing to do with your agreement now, in law. Becuase the damage had been repaired, there was no need for the agent to tell you that the flat had suffered fire damage previously.
wingrovebuyer : Sorry that might not have been what you wanted to hear, but I have to tell it how it is.
wingrovebuyer : Best, WB.