75100385

I rent a property through a letting agent. My latest tennent

I rent a property through a letting agent. My latest tennent have paid the deposit and 6 months rent in advance to the letting agent. The letting agent have advised they keep the full amount and will pay us monthly. It this correct as it seems to all be in favour of the letting agent.

thanks
michelle

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What is the terms and conditions between you and the agent please? Does it say they can hold onto it?

Customer:

The terms and conditions as I recollect make no mention of provision of rent paid in advance, this is a standard agreement.

Alex Watts :

Ok - then the agent can not do this

Alex Watts :

Unless there is a clause in their agreement that allows them to with hold payment then they can not

Alex Watts :

You signed a contract with the agents and they and you are bound

Alex Watts :

Ask them what contractual provision they are relying on.

Alex Watts :

If they can not tell you then they can not keep it

Alex Watts :

Customer:

Thanks Alex, I will check our agreement this evening and them to identify the contractual provision they are relying on.

Alex Watts :

If this answers your question could I invite you leave feedback on my service which I hope has been excellent today, if you need more information or help then please click reply.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/