75100385

We had an extension done and the bottom right hand corner of

We had an extension done and the bottom right hand corner of the window cill looks 35mm closer to the floor than the left hand corner of the window cill. The window is about one metre from floor level. Builder says that the cill is reading true to the spirit level which can only mean then that the floor is off level. Is this acceptable. It does not look right aesthetically.

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Have you had a surveyor out to look at it yet please?

Customer:

not yet

Alex Watts :

Ok. I would get a surveyor report and see what the conclusion is.

Alex Watts :

If it is that the builder is at fault and remedial works need doing then you can present the report to him and ask that the job is fixed.

Alex Watts :

If the builder refuses you should get a number of quotes for putting the job right. This forms your loss

Alex Watts :

You need to write and set out your losses and request payment or he does the work within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this recorded delivery and keep a copy.

Alex Watts :

If they do not do the work or pay you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n001-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

Alex Watts :

You can then use the surveyor report as evidence so you can show the Judge that the work done is not to standard

Alex Watts :

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

Alex Watts :

If the matter is defended it will be set down for a trial. If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim and you will not need representation.

Alex Watts :

Customer:

No , other than I suppose it will be a building surveyor I look up Directory for and what will a surveyor cost me?

Alex Watts :

If proceedings are issued and the surveyor is in your favour you can add this to the cost of your claim

Alex Watts :

Does that help?

Customer:

yes.