Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Our neighbour is just having a new fence put between our houses.

Our neighbour is just having a new fence put between our houses. It belongs to them with original supports on their side, & on deeds is their fence. The workmen have started to fit with supports our side, they say always put the good side to who pays, can they do this please?
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

Is there any reason why you think they are not allowed to do this please?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

We have always thought that the person who owns the fence, has the supports their side, and pays and maintains the fence. If now the supports are on our side any new owners of our house would think the fence is theirs not our neighbours.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

All I want to know is can they alter the side of the supports, which you have not answered.

Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
I am sorry but I cannot give you good news then. I’m afraid you are in difficulty here.

Contrary to common belief, there is no legal convention that one person gets the good side of the fence and the other one gets the bad side nor that the person on one side of the house is responsible for one fence and the person in the middle, the other fence.

I am afraid they are entitled to have either the supports or facing boards on their side as they wish if they are paying for it.

I'm sorry this isn't the answer you wanted but it is the position that you face and I have a duty to inform you truthfully.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if you need more information.