LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Solicitor
Experience:  Experienced solicitor
76316425

Ive just got the keys to my new house and the oil boiler is

Customer Question

I've just got the keys to my new house and the oil boiler is totally broken I have paid cash for the house and am 79 years old , do I have any comeback . Thank you.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 years ago.

LondonlawyerJ :

Hello I am a solicitor with over 15 years experience. I will try to help you with this.

LondonlawyerJ :

Are you a new tenant or a new owner?

Customer:

New owner

LondonlawyerJ :

OK thankyou. What did your surveyor say about the boiler and what did the Property information form completed by the vendors and the report on property your solicitor prepared say about the boiler if anything?

Customer:

I dident get a survey done as the house seemed fine.

Customer:

Sorry hit a button

LondonlawyerJ :

I am afraid if you didn't get a survey,didn't notice the condition of the boiler yourself and and no misrepresentations were made by the vendors then caveat emptor (buyer beware) probably applies and you will have no comeback against the vendors. In most conveyances the vendor will complete a form like this one file:///home/chronos/user/Downloads/TA6%20specimen%20FINAL.pdf this is a Law Society specimen but a variation of question 12 is likely to have been on a form if one was used in your purchase. If a misrepresentation has been made then maybe you can claim compensation for teh cost of repairs/replacement of the boiler.

LondonlawyerJ :

I fear that unfortunately you will simply have to get it fixed/replaced and bear the cost yourself. I am sorry to give you this answer but it is correct. If there was a misrep' made let me know what you think the cost of repair/replacement will be and I wil lbe able to let you know about the right way to claim it back. It didn't work quite properly but I attempted to give you a link to a specimen Law Society form to illustrate the type of form I meant.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will getvin touch with my solicitor on Monday and will let you know the outcome. Thankyou MRS COUSINS.

My pleasure and thankyou.