75100385

I have converted my garage ino a room to let it out. The council

I have converted my garage ino a room to let it out. The council does not want me to let it out. Can i keep a lodger? Do I have to ask permission for a permission from the council to do it?
Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.

tdlawyer :

Hello, welcome to the website. My name isXXXXX can assist you with this.

tdlawyer :

Is this a council tenancy or your own private home?

Customer:

Sorry

Customer:

this is my private home on mortguage

tdlawyer :

So what reason has the council given to you for changing the internal part of the building only?

Customer:

Sorry i am working today. between 1230 and 1400.

tdlawyer :

Thats okay - we can move quickly if that helps.

Customer:

i think it would be better if i show a copy of the letter the council sent to me

Customer:

how can i do that?

tdlawyer :

You cant really, you just need to tell me what's in it - the important part.

tdlawyer :

Essentially, what is their reason for writing to you.

Customer:

trying to send the attachment

tdlawyer :

Cant you say what's in it for me, I'm conscious you're about to start work.

tdlawyer :

Hello?

Customer:

xxxxxx

Customer:

xxxx

Customer:

xxx

Customer:

xxxx

Customer:

xxx

Expert:  tdlawyer replied 2 years ago.
Ae you able to see this reply?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I converted my garage into a room. i own the houe with mortgage. Council visited and sent a letter and said: -----You are required to stop using the extension within the former garage as a separate rental unit. You said the extension was developed as a ‘granny annex’ intended for your parents coming to liv e with you. That legitimate use is not prevented by this letter. Nor does this letter prevent you using the garage for the purpose it was developed as an extension to your lose family living space.

Please confirm to me in writing within 14 days of the date of this letter that the unauthorised use of the former garage as a separate bedsit rental unit has stopped and will not start again unless and until it should become duly authorised.

Now i am planning to keep a lodger. we will share the same kitchen. Can the council stop me keeping the lodger?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

You are required to stop using the extension within the former garage as a separate rental unit. You said the extension was developed as a ‘granny annex’ intended for your parents coming to liv e with you. That legitimate use is not prevented by this letter. Nor does this letter prevent you using the garage for the purpose it was developed as an extension to your lose family living space.

Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 years ago.

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Sorry i did not realise you were answering. i am happy to continue waiting......

Much appreciated.

Agni

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return You do not need to wait here as you will get an email when I reply.

I see the expert has opted out - do you still need help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PLease take a look the information above. Can the council stop me using the new room for lodgers?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have received any answer yet

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i still need help. i haven't got answer yet.
can i keep lodgers?

Did you tell the Council you planned to rent it out please?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No I have not

May I ask why not?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Originally i sent a letter and asked to convert the garage into a room for my parents. Unfortunately, my parents do not want to live there. I have invested so much money. I owe some money to my friends. To compansate it I have to keep lodgers in it. The inspecting officer visited and adviced me only my parents are allowed to stay.

As I was thinking of keeping lodgers, i received a letter from the enforcement officer that only my close family can stay there.

I have prepared a letter to the council saying- "Under the Hpusing Act 1985, I am planning to keep a pair of Nepalese lodgers. I am Nepalese and I will feel more comfortable with Nepalese to share the same kitchen, living room and other appliances. There are many Nepalese pensioners in Maidstone. They can only speak nepalese. they need help on many things, specially in language. As landlord, me and my wife can help them. Me and my wife work. My work involve during the day and night. My wife and my children will feel secure while i am away on nights. As the pensioners do not work, my house will be occupied during the day which is good while both of us are away at work. Many Nepalese house in Maidstone and around the country have been burgled (information can be found from Maidstone Police).The pensioners can not drive, so no parking facilities will be occupied. I would be much appreciated if you could advice me on this matter. ............"

xxxx Is it a good idea to send the letter? Do they have rhe right to stop keeping the lodgers?

xxxxx

Regards,

Agni

You can keep lodgers. The council can't stop you from doing that and indeed you do not need their permission. As long as you are not renting it as a property but just for lodgers it will be ok,

There may be tax implications though.

So lodgers - yes that is fine.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I have read a lot of things on the website about it. Under the government's 'Rent a Room' scheme, we are allowed not more that three lodgers. For more than three lodgers, we need HMO licence.

I am very happy now. I am satisfy with the answer. After reading the information on the website, I decided to take lodgers. As i was thinking of it, I received a letter from the enforcement officer. that is why i was worried.

Thank you very for your time.

Regards,

Agni

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Now i am finishing to rate. However if you want say something to me letter, i would be much appreciated.

Agni

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

sorry, i could not rate. Probably have to do it before the reply.

Please reply i will rate.

thank you

Try now it should work.

Remember you can ask me future questions at any time.

Please remember that I am always happy to help if you have future questions, even if I am in Court I can normally respond within a few hours. For future information, please start them with ‘For Alex W’.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help: http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-alexwatts/

Experience: Solicitor with 5+ years experience