Matt Jones
Matt Jones, Solicitor
Experience:  I am a qualified and practicing Solicitor with over 7 years post qualification experience
13732703

I own a private road which serves a few houses. Some of the

I own a private road which serves a few houses. Some of the houses have a right of way and an obligation to contribute to maintenance. Some do not; they have another access. I do not want to grant those other properties a right of way but I would be prepared to grant an annual licence for a fee (probably the estimated cost of their share of the maintenance). Is this possible legally and is there a relatively standard way of drawing up such an agreement?
Expert:  Matt Jones replied 3 years ago.

Matt Jones :

HI I will try and help

Matt Jones :

the short answer is yes you can grant a licence of use an area of land for a specific purposes, i.e. access.

Matt Jones :

in fact it is advisable to do this to prevent anyone claiming "prescriptive rights" i.e. that they have gained a right to use because they have used the area for over 20 years

Matt Jones :

it is beyond the scope of this site to draft documents up but I would recommend getting this done professionally to prevent problems in the future

Customer:

thanks. I would want a standard, annual licence issued in return for a fee. Can you advise how much you would charge for such a document.

Customer:

ok. our messages crossed. i was hoping to get a document but is that not possible from this service?

Matt Jones :

I am afraid not - I am not allowed

Customer:

ok. thanks