Alex J.
Alex J., Solicitor
Experience:  Two years conveyancing experience.
13113900

My landlord wants me to pay for a bike locker that has been

My landlord wants me to pay for a bike locker that has been free for the last 2 years and this 1 months after my contract renewal, is he allowed to do so ?
Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and welcome.

Is the bike lock included in your lease?

Was it advertised with the property?

Does he have the right to charge this under your lease?

AJ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello there thanks for the quick answer.

The bike lock isn't part of the lease but it was part of the package we were shown when we decided to move in two years ago.

I'm not sure if he has the right to charge for this.

My problem is that we signed a contract with no breaking close in december, and we got a paper in the mail in january to ask us 150 £ per year per bike.

Expert:  Alex J. replied 3 years ago.

Technically the position is that he cannot impose this charge on you without your agreement or it being in the lease. Also however you have no contractual right to the bike lock unless it is included in your.

The argument you have is that the bike lock was advertised as part of the letting. I would contact the landlord and the agent that showed you around and say that if that as the lock was shown as part of the letting then you have every right to assume it is included in your rent. Say if they do not continue to allow you to use it, you will report the matter to trading standards. I would bare in mind though that you may want to try and solve this amicably. Even if the landlord agrees to request, it could just result in him putting the rent up for the flat higher or not letting you stay when the lease comes to an end.

I look forward to hearing from you.

AJ