75100385

We had a contract with the estate agent where they can spend

Customer Question

We had a contract with the estate agent where they can spend 250 per month for fixing things at the rented apartment for the tenant without our consultation. they had exceeded that by fixing a tap. They say that this was an emergency for health and safety reasons. Is this correct? What property law clause is that? the water and hot water was still available in the bathroom sink and shower. The sink was still operable so that they could still wash the dishes, and themselves in the bathroom. So what kind of emergency and health and safety law are they referring to? Are they not in breach of contract? Cold they not have choose a less expensive tap? to keep it withing the 250 budget?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is Alex and I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

What did your contract say about this please?

Customer :

they should have notified me if there was an expenditure higher than 250.

Customer :

However they never contacted me before or after. I just received an invoice about it.

Alex Watts :

Have they failed to mitigate any loss on your behalf?