Aston Lawyer
Aston Lawyer, Solicitor
Experience:  LLB(HONS) 23 years of experience in dealing with Conveyancing and Property Law
16368554

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat. the

Customer Question

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat.
the prospective buyer's solicitor is asking what is the ground rent.

the current tenant that is selling the flat has paid a peppercorn extension of the lease.
However in the lease there is nothing specifically saying that I cannot charge for the ground rent.

the previous charge was £75 per year. can I still charge this even though the lease was extended via the peppecorn payment extension?
Expert:  Aston Lawyer replied 3 years ago.
Hello and thanks for using Just Answer.

I am Al and am happy to assist you with your enquiry.

As there has been a Lease extension, the rent detailed in the Lease extension is the correct rent. Therefore I'm afraid you can't charge the £75, as the legal rent is a peppercorn (5 pence).

Sorry this is not the answer you were looking for.

Kind Regards
AL