Thomas, Solicitor
Experience:  UK solicitor holding an England and Wales practising Certificate.
28732269

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat. the

Customer Question

I am a Freeholder and the tenant is selling the flat.
the prospective buyer's solicitor is asking

"Please advise whether there have been any regulations made since the lease was granted."

Is such an answer acceptable?
" The purchaser needs to make their own enquiries with the council or on their survey "

What does regulations refer to?
Expert:  Thomas replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for your question and patience, I’m Tom and I’ll try to help you.

Sometimes a lease gives the freeholder to make regulations about how the property and the communal areas should be used. These are generally a list of behaviours that are not permitted or conditions of using the communal areas (eg. no loitering on the stairs, not to leave items in the communal areas).

You should state that you assume this is what they are asking about and then state which regulations you have made OR state that you have not made any such regulations. For clarity, you should also state that you have no knowledge of any regulations relating to local authority issues (eg. building regulations, planning permissions) if you don’t have any knowledge and that they must rely entirely on their own search/investigation/enquiries of the local authority in this regard.

My goal is to provide you with a good service. If you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up issues specifically relating to your question.

Kind regards,

Tom