75100385

I described the roof on my 1960s town house as ashphalt & have

I described the roof on my 1960s town house as ashphalt & have to make a claim unrelated to the failure of the roof but the wall & roof have been flood damaged by debris falling from my neighbours roof.

I've had to get a contractor to estimate & am not 100% sure the roof is ashphalt- it may be ashphalt felt or felt over ashphalt.

The loss adjuster is coming to view- is he likely to throw ou the claim even if its not actual ashphalt?

Alex Watts :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will help you with this. Please note that I am a working Solicitor and may be on and offline as I have to attend Court and meet with clients, even at weekends. As such you may not get an instant response when you reply as this is not an ‘on demand’ live service, but rest assured I will be giving your question my immediate attention upon return. There is no need to wait here, you will get an email when I reply.

Alex Watts :

Do you know what its made of or is this a best guess?

Customer: Yes- my best guess is still asphalt; I've googled it but can't seem
Customer:

Sorry- on my iphone- now on laptop.

Alex Watts :

Yes.

Alex Watts :

If it was your best guess and not intended to mislead then you will be fine.

Alex Watts :

Even if it is something else, as long as the insurance would not have declined insurance for a different type then it should not be an issue

Alex Watts :

So you need not worry - as long as you had a reasonable basis for the assumption all should be in order

Alex Watts :

Customer:

I can't seem to find a definition of asphalt. I understand that the sticky black stuff is "asphalt" and that the layers are asphalt coated. It's the type I remember from the 70's when workment boiled up "cauldrons" of black stuff then stuck strips to it. I alway thought that was asphalt and understand that's what I have on my roof. Three houses are damaged, and my neighbour thinks it's "felt" but I don't know if the felt is adhered with asphalt...but I think so. I've never seen my roof; vendors & builder told me it was asphalt but I don't have anything written down. I'm just worried I've not been precise enough or have made a mistake.

Alex Watts :

Yes, I agree with you. Like you I am not a roofer.

Alex Watts :

But do not worry - you can explain the situation but only if it is raised as an issue.

Customer:

Mmmm- no- me neither...thank you. You think I should stop worrying!?

Alex Watts :

Yes I would.

Customer:

:)

Alex Watts :

I think you are being too concerned about something that may not even matter.

Alex Watts :

Can I clarify anything else?

Customer:

Thanks for quick response, bye!