Remus2004
Remus2004, Barrister
Experience:  Over 5 years in practice.
12826847

Hi, I am currently renting a private property through a

I am currently renting a private property through a lettings agent. My tenancy expires at the end of july but I want to move out. I have found another property but the agency tells me I cannot hold two tenancies at the same time, as it is illegal. Is this true? I realise in will be liable for rent on both properties until the original tenancy expires.
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help with this.

What type of agreement is it?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It is an assured shorthold tenancy
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.

If they are telling you that it is illegal to hold to tenancy agreements then that is nonsense. It's a free country and you are entitled to hold as many agreements as you like although obviously you will be liable for each agreement and that generally deters people but it is not against the law.

I'm not sure if you wanted to know anything else?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX I needed to know. I did think they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes!
Expert:  Remus2004 replied 3 years ago.
No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/